This blogpost will keep track of our current progress on our effort to make Groovy run on Android phones. Instead of creating a summary like in the previous ‘This Week in Discobot’ posts, we will update this blogpost every half an hour!
Erik (20:36): after a nice dinner, we make a small plan for the evening. Marcin will work on committing and pushing the Gradle Android plugin into our Github fork, while my plan will be to continue to build a small Android application which will run the entire Groovy testset on Android, to assure our code works as we expect it to work.
Marcin (21:39): Erik created a small test program which successfully runs the Groovy unit testcases using the AllTestSuite. Next plan is to extend that so it also works on the Jar, so classpath scanning needs to be implemented. I the meantime, I worked on the way that intermediate files are organized in the Gradle Android Plugin and I added a test to verify signing the APK with the Android debug key works.
Erik (22:14): Investigating Reflections to use as a classpath scanner in Groovy
Erik (23:19): One hour later, still little success with the classpath scanning. Some testfiles aroud found, some aren’t, and doing a ‘reflections.getSubTypesOf(GroovyTestCase.class)’ currently returns an empty list. Not what I expected.
Marcin (23:37): I’m done with all the changes I wanted to do on the Gradle Android plugin. Now I’m writing the first integration test for the Gradle Discobot plugin. As I’ve never done this before for a Gradle plugin I’m using integration tests from the Gradle Android plugin as an example on how to do it.
Erik (0:58): After hacking around with the reflections project with Marcin, it’s time to call it a night. We got the classpath scanning to work now, but with a little bit more troubles than expected. Wrote an email to the authors of Reflections to ask them if they can explain some of the choices they made.
Good night everyone, and thanks for reading!